Tuesday 6 August 2013

Garganta del Cares

The Garganta del Cares (Cares Gorge) is in the very heart of Picos de Europa National Park and divides the central massif from the western Macizo El Cornión. Also known as La Garganta Divina (The Divine Gorge), the popular trail which is perched high above the River Cares is reputedly one of the most breathtaking trekking trails that can be done in Europe.

After a short walk along the road, a climb starts which to brings me panting and puffing to Los Callaos. I look ahead along the wide, early stages of the gorge and can see the ancient communication route between the hamlets of Poncebos and Caín carved into the rocks of the mountains.

The rest of the trail is relatively flat, but I am not getting complacent as the path is narrow and there are hundreds of meters of free fall down to the crystal clear waters of the River Cares.

Just over half way, the gorge becomes narrower, creating a greater contrast with the jagged peaks towering above. The most beautiful part of the route is beginning. As the valley floor rises to meet the trail, I pass through a series of low, wet tunnels to emerge at the end of the gorge among the meadows of Caín.

I take a short break to devour a sandwich and an ice cold drink, before returning to Poncebos. Despite the wonderful, vertigo inducing journey being the same route as earlier today, it appears and feels different. The return leg feels more exposed and I see new sights that were hidden on the outward leg.

I throw my tired body onto my motorbike and make the short journey to Bilbao, where I will have two days on the to explore the exciting and cultured city.

No comments: