Wednesday 30 March 2016

Hello Sunshine!

During breakfast, in the 70s Bond-villian-lare of a hotel, I discover the reason for the difficulties I had at the end of yesterday. The track had not been marked as the hotel was not sure if it could be open for business during the winter months as the hotel was still housing refugees up until a few months ago... Kinda puts my grumblings into perspective :-/

I am in no rush to leave the magnificent views overlooking Lake Hornsjø, but once I do, the skies turns blue as the blank canvas of white awaits my tracks...

With the sun high in the sky, it is not long before I meet a fellow skier - despite taking the route less travelled. The old gent and his bouncy, happy, chocolate labrador had been snowed in their cabin for the last three days and were now taking advantage of the sunshine to escape.

The floodgates appear to have opened as I pass a tsunami of skiers heading for Hornsjø during the first hour. After this tho, the trail goes quiet until I join the prepared tracks at Reina. With the true wilderness now over, I launch down the løypa and along the narrow spit of land separating the grand lakes of Reinsvatnet and Mellsjøen.

With its pristine pistes, fantastic views and gently undulating terrain, it is clear to see why this place has become a World famous cross-country skiing area.

On the outskirts of Nordseter, I rejoin the Trolls Trail to make the final push to Sjusjøen. Nothing too strenuous for the final day, this wonderful trail provides stunning views down to Lake Mjøsa and beyond.

Shortly before the centre of Sjusjøen, the Trolls Trail seems to just disappear and so I join the Birkebeineren Løypa to begin the grand finale of the trip. I follow this 15km ribbon of white all the way down to the Olympic Ski Stadium in Lillehammer. An excellent downhill to finish off the trip. Whilst I may not enter the stadium in the same style or panache as an Olympic athlete; I am just as grateful for making it here.

No comments: