Tuesday 19 July 2016

Queen Charlotte Track


Sitting on the edge of a cool crisp Picton Harbour, my breathe froze to my beard as I waited for the water taxi to my starting point along the Queen Charlotte Track. Whilst the Queen Charlotte Track is highly regarded as a classic New Zealand walk, the longest piece of continuous single track in the country now ranks as one of New Zealand's best mountain bike rides. The track is graded as intermediate (Grade 3) and advanced (Grade 4) mountain biking, which for me will probably mean some pushing of the bike. When I looked at the daunting climb out of Punga Cove, I can see why...

As I slowly climbed away from Punga Cove to join the Queen Charlotte Track, the sweeping views began to appear as I struggled up the mud-coated, tree-strewn trail. At the Kenepuru Saddle, I joined the ridge line which separates the Queen Charlotte Sound from the Kenepuru Sound. Despite the grey weather, I am treated to stunning views all day, but the terrain - as promised - was challenging. The longest and most arduous stretch of the track had lots of sharp corners, steep drop offs and, of course, hills. Whilst the inclines were not long, they were gnarly, sharp or both, and likewise the descents can be both.

After whizzing through the DOC campsite at the Bay of Many Coves and Black Rock, the track eventually descends - through a series of steep, and exhilarating switchbacks - to Torea Saddle. My wheels then hit tarmac, which descended further to my accommodation in Portage Bay.

No comments: