Friday 15 July 2016

Surf Highway

The weather was showing no sign of improvement, so I packed up Eric and headed south on the Surf Highway 45. With grey skies, torrential rain and the wild Tasman Sea on my right hand side for the duration of the day, I followed the Taranaki coast to Hawera. The drive generally undulated through farmland with the occasional glimpse of the waves crashing ashore a black-sand beach.

I detoured to Palmerston North, whose landfill site in named after John Cleese, where I visited the iconic New Zealand Rugby Museum to explore the rich history of the nation's favourite game.

Journeying southwards along the blustery Kapiti Coast and finally weaved between the bushy hillsides that encircle the waterfront city of Wellington. Famous for a vibrant creative culture fuelled by great food and craft beer, Wellington is a cosmopolitan city which I shall enjoy exploring for the next few days...

No comments: