Thursday 29 August 2019

Fremantle

Fremantle's relaxed spirit is just what is needed for this weary traveller. I wander around the formerly grand Victorian and Edwardian buildings that line the streets of the city. Ducking into the Western Australian Museum to view the impressive Shipwreck Galleries, which are considered the finest display of maritime archaeology in the southern hemisphere.

After, I settle down for a long lunch and an opportunity to rest my legs whilst completing a beer tasting session at the Little Creatures Brewery.

Final stop of the day is a tour of the Fremantle Prison. With its 5m-high foreboding walls, the convict-era prison is a real eye-opening experience into the harsh conditions that greeted most new arrivals to Australia in the early days.

My day ended in my own prison cell, packing my bags for tomorrow's departure...

No comments: