Friday 16 August 2019

Goodbye Harrison


The day starts early with a short detour to the crumbling Cape Dombey Obelisk. The iconic pyramid-like, red-white-striped lookout has been warning ships of Robe’s rocky reefs since 1855. The town’s 12-metre icon was originally white, but was painted in red bands after complaints it was too hard to see. The rocky limestone ledge it sits on has been dramatically eroded by wild seas and is expected to soon crumble into the ocean.

Tired and weary from too many days on the road, I have a hearty breakfast and then jump back on the Southern Ports Highway to weave through vineyards and forests.

The spectacular Coorong National Park, separated from the sea by chunky dunes, is a fertile lagoon landscape curving along the coast for 145km from Kingston SE to Lake Alexandrina. I leave the Princes Highway, where possible, to join the Old Coorong Road and explore the complex series of milky white lakes and salt pans. 

After a brief drive along the Southern Ocean Drive, I cut inland to explore the Barossa Valley. I am greeted by dark clouds and a short while later the heavens opened. I therefore continue to drive to Adelaide, where, tired and weary, I return Harrison to enable the start of the next leg of my journey...

Distance: 415.8km

No comments: