Sunday 27 March 2016

Following the Canes

I wake from my daylight-saving-time-deprived slumber to the sound of the windows being rattled by the howling wind. Not the most promising sign for the journey ahead. The worst is confirmed when I read the weather forecast... Severe weather warnings for the mountains, I am not going into the mountains today tho, I am just popping into the next valley ;-)

After what has become a morning routine, I retrace the last part of the route from yesterday to rejoin the Trolls Trail. On this cloud covered morning, the scenery is monochromatic. It is as if the strong winds have blown away all the colour.

I find the Trolls Trail without any hassle and continue to travel through the open high mountain terrain. The cold wind stings what little skin I have exposed to the elements and the visibility is poor. I struggle to navigate in the near whiteout conditions, but thankfully there are canes to guide the way.

I am granted a short break from the elements as I ski through a serene birch wood. It is almost long enough to forget how harsh the conditions are, but I am reminded all too soon as I begin the exposed pull up towards the plateau above Oksendalen.

On top of the plateau, the canes that have been my lifeline for today disappear without rhyme or reason. Out come the compass and map once more to see if my skills are up to the job.

Pleasingly, and somewhat fortunately, they are!! After approximately 2km in near whiteout conditions, I happen upon a signpost that confirms I am on the correct path. Moments later the canes reappear as I work my way over the final ridge line and down into the next valley.

As I descend out of the mist, I enter a winter wonderland of untracked fresh snow. I weave my way through the pine forest to spend a night at the Friisvegen Turistsenter. This is the strangest place that I have stayed at so far, but good Norwegian cooking is on offer, so I am a happy bunny :)

No comments: