Saturday 26 March 2016

Testing Times

There is a cold bite to the air as I lock up the hotel and hide the key. With my mind preoccupied with the challenge of most of today being off-track, I took a tumble skiing down the nursery slope as I set off to rejoin the løypa... How embarrassing!?

I leave the beautifully groomed løypa at Nestra and begin the climb onto the plateau. I wind my way, on a narrow icy track, through the trees. Popping out above the tree line, I stop to take in the stunning views into Frydalen. Shortly later I reach the sheet of ice that is covering the plateau.

The going here is tough as every two or three strides, I lose grip and slide backwards. The icy crosswind is also not helping matters and occasionally causes me to lose balance. There is a real wild feeling to the route today as I work my way across the mountainside past the DNT hut at Eldabu. The route then alters course and headlong into the icy winds.

For a brief moment, the wind dies down and the sun begins to shine. I take advantage of the respite to pause and take in this beautiful place. In the distance, I see two kite skiers dancing across the plateau. The winds begin to pick up and so my head drops to battle onwards and upwards.

Eventually, I reach the tracks coming from Venabu and snake my way between the small hills to my overnight in the quaint fjellhotel.

The route today has really tested me, so I eat, prep for tomorrow and get an early night ZZzZzz...

No comments: