Friday 29 July 2016

The Roberts Point Track

I stand in the chill of this beautiful wintry day - clear skies, warm genial sun, crisp pure air - with a wry smile on my face. Below the stunning Franz Josef Glacier, opposite sheer rock walls with velvety waterfalls draped down their faces, but none of the lower mountain peaks are visible, least of all Alex Knob.

Over breakfast I check, recheck and triple check the weather forecast, but I still cannot decide on my route. A quick stop at the National Park Visitor Centre provides friendly encouragement, but no further insight. So I drive towards the Franz Josef Glacier, still not sure where I am heading. I park the car and am faced with two choices: head right for a four hour climb to the top of Alex Knob and a fantastic 360 degree views from the glacier to the sea, if I can beat the cloud that is rolling in; left offers the more interesting walk along the Roberts Point Track with great, but not spectacular, views at the end. I throw on my backpack and begin to walk...

Starting from the Douglas Bridge, the Roberts Point Track winds up the true right of the Waiho Valley, over ice-carved rock, across many side streams and directly under the flight path of the tourist hauling helicopters to a viewpoint high above the glacial ice. Having recently reopened after the track was rendered impassable by damage from a major flood, the Roberts Point Track now has several new "Indiana Jones" style rope bridges - the longest being 111m in length.

Being the original track up the Franz Josef Glacial Valley, the track is steeped in engineering history too - the Hendes Hut and the 1907 Gallery Steps being intriguing artefacts.

The final section, above the snow line, leads to Roberts Point and a surprisingly intimate view of the lower levels of the Franz Josef Glacier which I enjoy from the randomly placed picnic table. From here I also enjoy watching the helicopters landing on the glacier to drop off the guides and their clients who seem Lilliputian in comparison to the grand scale of the one kilometre high amphitheatre that surround the great river of ice.

Heeding the advice from the numerous DOC boards, I run the gauntlet of melting snow falling from the trees to follow the helicopters and retrace the my route back along the track. On my way to the valley floor, I feel happy for the rest of the day safe in the knowledge that I made the right choice this morning :)

No comments: