Saturday 30 July 2016

Heading Inland

Leaving behind the grey clouds suspended over the glaciers, I continue to drive south along a scenic stretch of highway chopped through forests, pastures and sheer-sided coastal cliffs with intermittent, but grand views seaward. Rocky headlands, storm-swept beaches, fearsome rivers and impenetrable coastal forest are enough to force the road inland at Haast towards my final destination of the day. The SH6 snakes along the Haast River and across into Mt. Aspiring National Park. Shortly after the snow starts to appear...

The further I drive the closer the vertical valley walls, streaked with waterfalls, become. Eventually the road becomes so narrow that the broken line down the middle of the road disappears. The highway reaches 563m above sea level and then the snow slowly disappears, and then the broken line returns, and then the fences, and then a few sheds and finally a few other cars.

Leaving the West Coast well and truly behind at Makarora and then hitting the northern end of Lake Wanaka as I continue to journey southwards. I then hop over the narrow strip of land, known as the neck, to Lake Hawea. I keep the deep blue-grey lake on my left as I skirt along the lake shore to the guardian of Wanaka, Mt. Iron. The short climb to the top of Mt. Iron reveals panoramic views, which are only bettered by my lakeside accommodation for the night.

After sundown, I head to the classic movie theatre, Cinema Paradiso, to sit in an old Morris Minor and watch the latest instalment of the Bourne Series. Halfway through the screen goes black and we have a short interval. Everyone goes to the adjoining cafe to get freshly baked pizzas or cookies, homemade ice cream or a beer and then settles back into their chairs. It was like being round someone's house. This is how all cinemas should be!!

No comments: