Friday 23 August 2019

Drive to Yulara


A ribbon of tarmac takes me back to the Lasseter Highway, which in turn will take me to the red heart of Australia. Much of the way it is fairly standard central Australian scenery with red sand, scrub and spinifex to the horizon until I reach Mount Conner.

Mount Conner pokes 350m out of the desert and is easily mistaken for Uluru. I stop for a quick peek from the lookout and pay a quick visit to the salt pan across the road.

The highlight of the journey tho, is the first sighting of Uluru as I approach Yulara. Sometimes these world-famous sights end up being a let-down when you actually see them. Then there's Uluru: nothing can truly prepare you for the immensity, grandeur, changing colour of the "Rock". It really is a sight that will sear itself into your mind forever.

I spend a few hours at the Uluru car sunset viewing area waiting patiently to take the quintessential Uluru photo. As the sun sinks behind me, the rock transforms from pinkish hues to a fluorescent orange and deep shades of red. The sky also displays a varied palette of colours, with the rock surrounded by delicate baby blues and bright pinks.

I then head to Yulara, the service village for the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, which has turned one of the World's least hospitable regions into a comfortable place to stay for the night.

Distance: 330.7km

No comments: