Thursday 22 August 2019

Kings Canyon Rim Walk


The ancient red canyon walls soar hundreds of metres above Kings Creek to a plateau of rocky domes. The Rim Walk begins with a strenuous, steep climb to the top of the Canyon, where I am treated to spectacular views from the Canyon Rim. About half way along, the route descends from the rim to the Garden of Eden, a lush pocket of ferns and prehistoric cycads around a tranquil pool. The track then climbs back to the rim to wind through a swarm of giant beehive domes: weathered sandstone outcrops, whilst skirting the canyon for a final time before descending to the carpark.

The Kings Canyon impresses with its scale and raw beauty. I am keen to experience a little more of the canyon from a different perspective , so I follow the Kings Creek Walk. This short stroll along the rocky creek bed to a raised platform (which was closed due to flood damage) with views of the towering canyon rim.

On the way back to Kings Creek Station, I drop in to the the Karrke Aboriginal Experience. Christine and Peter, who live in a small Aboriginal community called Wanmarra (population of 10), explain their ancient culture and connectedness to the land through their weapons, musical instruments, jewellery, bush tucker, medicines and the evolution and meaning of their language.

I finally return to the bush camping experience of Kings Creek Station. The cosy safari-style cabin, pitched among the desert oaks, is my home for the night. From the comfort of my cabin, I try a spot of night photography...

Distance: 83.5km

No comments: