Wednesday 14 August 2019

Twelve Apostles


Another morning begins with a trip to another lighthouse. The drive along a beautifully rugged and historically treacherous coastline takes me to Cape Otway Lighthouse, the oldest surviving lighthouse on mainland Australia.

Further along the Great Ocean Road is the picturesque Loch Ard Gorge, named after the clipper wrecked here in 1878. It is home to a smooth, pearlescent bay and an inlet of clear, blue water, which is flanked by two yellow-washed cliff faces topped with tufts of vibrant greenery.

With the masses swarming over the viewing platform for the most iconic sight and the endpoint of the Great Ocean Road, I decide to hunt for accommodation in Port Campbell first. The Port Campbell Hostel ticks everything on my wishlist. Clean rooms; check. Pizzas; check. It's own brewery; check.

Jutting out from the ocean in spectacular fashion, the Twelve Apostles (originally called the Sow and Piglets, which is the name of the aforementioned brewery) are the enduring image of Great Ocean Road. There are not twelve stacks and, as far as I can tell, there never have been. Honestly, I cannot tell how many there are, but that is not the reason that I am here. With the sun approaching the horizon, the tour buses have gone and the rich hues of red are blending with oranges, purples and crimsons to fill the sky. The brilliancy of the colours, fastens my gaze upon the west as the sun sinks beyond the Seven Apostles (OK I did count!).

Distance: 158.1km

No comments: