Tuesday 13 August 2019

Yaugher Trails


After peeling myself from my frozen bed, I grab a wholesome breakfast and a trail map from the Forrest General Store and then pop next door to get fitted for my mountain bike.

Just a few minutes north of Forrest, the Yaugher trail head is the starting point out for all the fine cross country trails. The Yaugher Super Loop is the longest trail in Forest and it provides access to the entire Yaugher trail network. It is a mixture of single track and fire trails with a full range of trail features. The start is fairly easy, but soon I learn first hand what is awesome about the Forrest MTB experience!

After a short breather, next up is the Grass Trees trail. Loaded with features the short trail includes log rides, rollovers, step ups, drop offs, big berms and jumps. 

Named after the man who started the Forrest MTB dream is Foxtail, Forrest’s quickest run. This trail takes me from the Yaugher trail head to Tabletop and rejoins the Yaugher Super Loop. Long fast straights and open corners provide a fun flowing ride with well-spaced technical features.

My legs are now feeling heavy, but I choose one final trail. J2 is another long flowing descent trail from the Yaugher trailhead. This trail has plenty of features along the way and once again rejoins the Yaugher Super Loop which returns me to the trail head.

I return to Forrest to clean my bike and myself, refuel with another tasty morsel from the Forrest General Store and head back out in search of some more adventure...

Located 7 km from Forrest is the scenic Lake Elizabeth, famous for its population of platypuses and surreal scenery of dead trees jutting from its glassy waters. I yomp around the circuit searching for the reclusive platypuses and avoiding the poisonous snakes.

Back at the carpark, Harrison and I head to Apollo Bay, where I find a bed for the night and spend an evening in the new tap house of the Great Ocean Road Brewhouse. A fitting reward for all my hard work ;-)

Distance: 53.8km


No comments: