Sunday 11 August 2019

Great Ocean Road (Trip)

The day starts with a quick trip to see the neighbours in Pin Oak Court, Vermont South - just outside Melbourne. You might know this better as Ramsay Street, Erinsborough. Sadly there is no sign of Kylie, so I get back on the road...

On such a grey and rainy day, I decide to try to eat up some miles. That said, I cannot resist a pitstop in the undisputed capital of the Australian surf industry, Torquay. The perfect starting point seems to be the well-curated Australian National Surfing Museum. I then call in the Rip Curl Surf Factory Outlet to pick up a bargain or seven. I genuinely do not know how supermodels stay thin as trying on all these different outfits makes me very hungry, so I swing by the Blackman's Brewery for a huge pizza and a carry out or three.

On the way out of town, I join the Great Ocean Road and almost immediately take a slight detour to the famous Bells Beach. Part of international surfing folklore, I watch the powerful point break through the rain spattered windscreen of Harrison, before moving on...

Further along the Great Ocean Road is the roadside Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie and Ice Creamery. I purchase some local delicacies (bush-tucker flavoured chocolate) and slurp down a thick gooey hot chocolate.

The final stop of the day is Aireys Pub. With an on-site brewery to compliment its fantastic home-cooked meals, this seems a great place to stop for the night.

Distance: 201.3km

No comments: