Monday 12 August 2019

Up into the Hills


I enjoy breakfast whilst soaking up Aireys' seafaring atmosphere in the Willows Tea House, which is set up within a historic weatherboard cottage a few steps from Split Point Lighthouse. With my belly full and the sensational views etched forever on my mind, I jump in the car and rejoin the Great Ocean Road.

One of the Great Ocean Road's original resort towns, Lorne seems a tad overdeveloped, so I head straight out of town to see the lovely Erskine Falls.

Tucked away in the hinterland of the Otways, the former logging town of Forrest is now home to one of the best mountain biking trails in the state. I find a home for the night (a Union Jack covered caravan called Lizzie) and set off to explore the charms of this archetypal one horse town.

Distance: 79.9km

No comments: